Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Baby Shower Update



Well, my daughter's baby shower is over and by all comments, it was a great success. My daughter was very happy and pleased with how everything turned out. There was one surprise she didn't know about. Her aunt, my sister, lives in North Carolina. When my daughter asked her several months ago if she would be able to come up for the shower, my sister had said "no," because of the drive and she didn't want to come alone. Well, since the shower was going to be held on President's Day Weekend, I suggested that she and her husband come up and stay for the long weekend. My sister thought that was a great idea and I told her not to say anything to my daughter so it would be surprise.

Fast forward to this past Saturday - the day of the shower. I had already arranged for my daughter to arrive at 12 and my sister at 12:30pm. When my sister rang the doorbell, I had my daughter answer the door. Well, when she opened the door, she just stood there for a few seconds before it registered who it was. Needless to say, she was shocked and excited that my sister was, afterall, able to attend her baby shower.

Around 1pm, everyone else began to arrive. When they came in, my son was the coat check person and took their coat to hang up in the closet. Each guest filled out a name tag shaped like a bib, wrote a note of advice, comments, etc. for the new "mommy and daddy," and pre-address an envelope to themselves in order to help my daughter save time in writing her thank you notes.

When everyone had arrived, we opened the buffet. I had a cheese and fruit platter, vegetable crudite and miniature quiche. I also had a bowl of mixed nuts. We served coffee, punch and iced water.

We opened the shower with the "ice-breaker" game that I told you about in the previous post. As I was in the middle of reading the story, one last guest arrived. We continued the story and guess who won the prize? The last guest that arrived! Next, my daughter began opening her gifts. There were lots of "oohs and ahhs" as everyone "cooed" over the cute little outfits. After my daughter opened about half the gifts, we played another game. It was the "guess how big my tummy is" game. Most of the guests cut a ribbon way too long. There were a couple of people that were very close, but the guest who won had cut her ribbon almost exactly to the actual belly size.

When that game was over, my daughter finished opening her gifts. At that time, my daughter drew the name for the winner of the gift basket. I had made up a wine basket consisting of a bottle of wine, wine glasses, corkscrew, cheese sticks and a can of cashews. Well, the guest that won does not drink wine, but she liked the rest of the items in the basket, so we chose another name to win the wine and wine glasses. My sister actually won that, which she was very happy because it happened to be her favorite wine.

It was time for dessert. I commissioned one of my wedding cake bakers to make the "baby buggy" cake to my daughter's specifications. I also had a mini-chocolate fountain with strawberries, marshmallows and pretzels for the dipping. That was a hit! No one left the table.

It was so much fun planning and hosting this baby shower for my daughter. She is not due until March 16, but last week she was already 3cm dilated. Her doctor thinks she will probably deliver before her due date. I can't wait to have a granddaughter. It will be so exciting.

No comments: